Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Le rouge et le noir

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

My reading has ground to a screeching halt (just like the noise my rear passenger brake rotor makes all the time when I drive, so hooray for $500 car repairs!), so I figured I'd have a go at one of these blogging memes. I love The Broke and The Bookish, and I love lists, so their Top Ten Tuesday meme was right up my alley.

This week's theme is: A cover theme freebie!!!

So ... I guess I get to write something about ten covers I love/hate/would like to rub on my face? Cool!

Coverlove or coverlust or whatever your level of cover-admiration is has generally been pooh-poohed by certain among the eliterati, But covers sell books. You could have the most amazing book ever, and if the cover looks like I drew it in MS Paint, people will be like "LOL NO" (and I don't mean that in a "Hey, this Millennial can't express emotions properly" way, I mean that quite literally).

As I was going through some of my favorite colors, I noticed that many of them shared a specific color scheme.

1. Scythe by Neal Shusterman

Not only is this a brilliant book (review here), but the cover is drop-dead Art Deco/ war poster gorgeousness.


2. Heartless by Marissa Meyer

I haven't read it yet, but I am a sucker for stylized flowers. 



3. Maresi by Maria Turtschaninoff

Ugh, I loved this book. I loved it SO MUCH. Review here. The goddess figure on the cover exudes power.


4. The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter

If you haven't read this yet, you must. Subversive and feminist and wonderful.


5. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

I am currently reading this for the first time (I KNOW. I'm handing in my feminist librarian card--not really. You'll pry it from my cold, dead fingers) and it is so freaking brilliant that I am frightened. 

Also, it's clearly not a coincidence that books dealing with violence against women and women fighting back have this blood-red and pitch black color scheme.


6. Cinder by Marissa Meyer

I have loved this cover since the moment I saw it. It's deceptively simple, with the delicate transparency of Cinder's flesh revealing the cyborg mechanics within, topped off with a glossy shoe like a maraschino cherry.


7. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman

This has a dragon eye, dragon claws, and something that looks rather a lot like the medallion from Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is also an amazing book.


8. Snow White: A Graphic Novel by Matt Phelan

A Depression-era retelling of "Snow White" that's almost painfully beautiful. Review here.


9. MARTians by Blythe Woolston

This book doesn't get nearly as much love as it should. Life in a capitalist dystopian society? Like ... shouldn't everyone be reading this? Woolston always blows me away with her writing. Review here.



10. The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch: At the Edge of Empire by Daniel Kraus

Bloody, dark, and ornate, just like the story within. This one went rather under the radar, but I deem it a must-read. Also, I would be worried if I were one of Dan Kraus' coworkers at Booklist. Review here.



Have you read any of these? Are you drawn to a particular color scheme when it comes to covers?


SaveSaveSaveSave

4 comments:

  1. Love your choices! I am definitely to certain types of covers much more than others. I am loving the red theme going on here. I really love the covers for Scythe, Heartless (and the inside cover under the dust jacket - flawless!), The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch, and Maresi. I've never heard of Maresi, so I definitely think I'll have to look into that one. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the cover art for Scythe were available in poster size, I'd definitely buy one. Or two. Maresi was really good--I think it's a Finnish import? I know some reviewers were concerned about the (TW) rape scene, but I thought it had an interesting viewpoint on men and women's bodies in wartime.

      Delete
  2. I've read The Bloody Chamber as part of a collection of Carter tales and started The Handmaid's Tale years ago, but never got around to finishing it, I can't remember why. Must download it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my third try at The Handmaid's Tale and this time, it finally made sense. It's a terrifying and amazing book.

      Delete